Friday, February 27, 2009

Random Venting: Rock n' Roll Ain't a "Boys Only" Game.

Disturbing Diva isn't the only on who's hostile today.

I let something sit and simmer for a few days, and now it's become a rolling boil of anger. I am effin' pissed off that in the year 2009, so many men and women still view Rock n' Roll as "Men's Business". I sing for the female-fronted hard rock band, Breaker, and am constantly bombarded by the question, "who do you sound like?" or "what bands would you compare yourself to?" It's a difficult question to answer as there are so few successful female-fronted straight-up rock bands out there. There's Paramore and The Donna's, but they're more pop-punk. There's Evanescence and Flyleaf, but they've got the goth/alt rock thing going on. In This Moment is metalcore. Shiny Toy Guns are electronic pop-rock.

The last great female-fronted plain ol' rock band I can think of is Hole, and they're now defunct. I know I'm leaving a lot of awesome female artists off of this list, and there are plenty of great ones out there, just not a whole lot on the hard rock scene. Honestly, the music I create is more easily compared to male-fronted bands, and some people have a hard time accepting that. I feel like they want to shove me in one of the "Girl Music" boxes.

In the "Girl Music" boxes, there is no room for singing about getting ass, using people for sex, or celebrating an enjoyable one-night stand. It seems to make some people squeamish that I do sing about those things, and that I may writhe and gyrate while I do it. I've come to the conclusion that I am cool with proudly excluding some people. "Oh, you don't like bitches behaving badly? Your loss; Peace out, sucka!!!"

I long for the day when there are some bad-ass rockin' femmes comparing their bands to Breaker. The mold of what "Women in Music" sound like is long overdue for a shattering, and if my voice and presence can contribute to it, then I must be doing something right.

Go wet yer ear pussies with some of this:
Myspace.com/BreakerMusic

No comments:

Post a Comment